Tuesday, March 20, 2012

40 Second Microwave Nooch-o Cheese Sauce for One

So I am resurrecting this blog after nearly a year. As of Monday I am going vegan again for an indefinite amount of time. Perhaps I will blog about my reasons another time.

For now, I start this out right with a not-entirely-healthy recipe. Well, the nooch-o sauce itself isn't too bad, but you must eat it with tortilla chips. What is "nooch" you ask? Nutritional yeast- a vegan staple. Contains (added) B vitamins, especially the essential-in-a-vegan-diet added B12. Also imparts a cheese-like flavor. Mind you, don't expect glorious gooey cheese! It's an acquired taste but does the job.

Serves 1
1 tsp Earth Balance
1 TBSP nutritional yeast
1 tsp cornstarch
2 TBSP vegan milk of choice (I used Trader Joe's unsweetened coconut milk)
1 TBSP salsa
dash of garlic powder and salt to taste
1 TBSP Daiya shreds (cheese substitute, the pepper jack one is best in this application), optional

Microwave all ingredients except salsa for approximately 40 seconds. Stir well with a fork. Stir in salsa (will also help to cool of mixture a bit as it will be very hot). It will be a little more soupy than real cheese sauce. Add the salt only to taste, I added a bit too much. Serve with tortilla chips! Daiya is totally optional if you don't have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment