Saturday, February 19, 2011

Open Face Broiled Tomato and Daiya Sandwich

This is comfort food for me, and I had it for lunch today (along with a simple creamy zucchini-leek soup). I used to make it with real cheese. As a rule I don't do fake foods (just real tofu, tempeh and soy milk on occasion), but Daiya cheese is my one exception. Primarily because there are not a lot of scary ingredients in it: just oil, pea protein, flour and spices....no soy. Second, it actually tastes decent...even according to my cheese addicted husband. It also melts and stretches, unlike many vegan cheeses. But disclaimer, it is NOT cheese, so don't expect it to taste exactly like it.

I don't consider it a health food, but rather an accent to an already substantial and healthy dish. As in this recipe I use good quality sprouted grain bread and lots of fresh tomatoes. Sometimes I'll use just a sprinkle on a home-made whole wheat pizza with lots of veggies, or a burritos with beans, veggies and a whole wheat tortilla. You get the idea. The other trick in using it, if you experiment with it is to use just a little...it doesn't taste very good to use a lot of it.

Serves 1
2 slices whole wheat bread (I used Ezekiel 4:9 sprouted grain bread) or 1 English muffin, split
2 TBSP-1/4 cup (enough to layer over bread) Cheddar Style Daiya Shreds
1/2 large tomato, sliced....or enough to create a layer of tomato slices over each slice of bread
1 TBSP Vegenaise (I like the Reduced Fat Flaxseed and Olive Oil version, I swear it's even tastier than mayo...even Steve agrees)
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat broiler (low, if your broiler has options). Spread each slice of bread or English muffin half with Vegenaise. Layer tomatoes evenly over each slice of bread, and sprinkle tomato layer lightly with salt and pepper. Sprinkle evenly with Daiya. Carefully transfer to a baking sheet. Broil for a few minutes until Daiya is slightly melted, and sandwich is slightly golden brown (watch carefully so it doesn't burn!). May use real cheddar cheese if you prefer.

No comments:

Post a Comment